Monday, November 19, 2007

.Net 2.0 SP1 - not supported on Vista ???

I have download Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1 (x86).

As you can see, it says it support Windows Vista.

clip_image001

But when I try to install it on my Vista Ultimate (32 bit) - I get:

image

So what is going on here?

Update

I have decided to try to install .net 3.5 (as it contains the .net 2.0 SP1)
And guess what:

clip_image001[1]

So the stand alone of 2.0 SP1 fails, but as part of 3.5 - it works... strange.

Another update

I have submitted a comment on Doug Stewart's blog regarding this problem, and he was nice enough to give a meaningful answer:

Because .NET 2.0 is a built in component of the operating system in Windows Vista rather than something you install separately, any updates use a completely different installer mechanism.

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934307 for more details.

Such updates come as MSU files.

At this time we have not released a 2.0 SP1 MSU.

The .NET 3.5 install does, however, include the update to raise 2.0 on Vista to the SP1 level so that 3.5 can install and function correctly.

So now I just wish Microsoft will update their download page about supporting Vista...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, when I try to install the 3.5 package, it fails for me because the 2.0 SP1 update is not installed, so there is definitely something else going on.

Yonatan Leonov said...

Hi Kevin.

Sorry it didn't work for you.
Have you gave a look at the installation log file to see detailed error?

There is an interesting tool which collect all information from the installation into a cab file - see Aaron Stebner's WebLog for more details.

AtleO said...

I have a funny experience much like this. I am allowed to install .net Framework 3.5, but not .net Framework 3.5 Sp1 - it says: DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0SP1 (CBS) is not installed

Why do I want .net 3.5 SP1? Because another product from Microsofts (expression web).

Anybody know how to solve this?